Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Why the heck are you cloth diapering!?!

So almost every friend and family member asked us why we ended up choosing to cloth diaper our son. I'll admit at first I thought it was gross. The thought of cleaning mucky yellow sticky baby poo off of fuzzy material just made me cringe. The first time I ever saw a cloth diaper on a baby, it was huge and (to me) unattractive. Why oh why would anyone choose this?
When I became pregnant with my son I started making weekly vlogs about my pregnancy. I met a lot of really sweet moms on youtube who were also making ttc, pregnancy and mommy vlogs. Some of them became interested in cloth diapering and made videos about it. After watching them show off all the different kinds of cloth diapering and even a few videos on "A Day In The Life Of A Cloth Diapering Mom" I got to see what it was REALLY like. It wasn't hard at all. It looked (call me crazy) kind of fun even! Not to mention when I first saw a FuzziBunz diaper....omgoodness can we say CUTE!?! So once I was totally convinced that cloth diapering was something I just had to try I had to convince my husband....here were the reasons I gave him:

1. Cloth diapering saves money (yepp hit them where it matters ladies, the wallet! haha) So far we've spent way more than necessary because I've become addicted but I think you could easily spend between $100-$200 if you went with prefolds and covers...(less if you buy second hand) as opposed to $2000-$3000 on disposables...OUCH! And that's per child....with cloth diapers they'll last you subsequent children too....SCORE! (So far we've spent about $650 including wetbags, pail liners, diaper sprayer, WAY more diapers than necessary and diaper accessories)

2. It's better for the environment...we're not adding any waste to landfills...Go Us!

3. They are SOOOOOO cute!! I actually enjoy changing my son's diaper because it's a chance to pick out a new color. It's also fun to coordinate with his outfits...or let him run around in a tshirt and his dipe...he still looks put together.

In the end it comes down to what works best for your family. For some families that is and always will be disposable diapers..and that's okay. But if you're interested in cloth diapering there are so many different options to choose from I'm sure you can find the perfect fit for your family. Cloth diapering is just as easy as disposables once you jump in there and start doing it. It does seem overwhelming at first but YOU CAN DO IT...if you want to =)

Photobucket

I did say it was addictive didn't I?
Since this photo was taken I have added two LovelyPocketDiapers...one black FuzziBunz diaper and one Charlie Banana diaper.
In this photo are FuzziBunz, BumGenius, Happy Heinys, ComfyRumps, BestBottoms, Rumparooz, & Thirsties.

No comments:

Post a Comment